Mint Hill, NC

Zoning Permits

Reminder: all structures exceeding 12 feet in any dimension require a building permit issued by Mecklenburg County. Otherwise, please proceed to follow the steps below:

Fee: $115.00 payable via a mailed check made out to the Town of Mint Hill or in-person at Town Hall via cash, check, or credit card. No permit will be issued until payment is received in full.

Accessory Structure provisions: Please review the relevant accessory structure ordinance provisions here. For structures that only necessitate a zoning permit, the key provisions are: the structure must be 10 feet from the principal structure, must be in the rear yard and setback a minimum of 8 feet from the side and rear property lines.

Questions? Please call the Planning Department at 704-545-9726 and we will be happy to assist you.

Application: Fill out the form below. Your zoning permit will be issued via email. You can print a paper copy here.

Frequently Asked Questions

A Structure Subordinate Or Incidental To The Principal Structure. Accessory Structures Include Detached Garages (With Or Without Mother‐In‐Law Suites Or Rental Cottages), Storage Buildings, Pool Houses, And Material Storage Areas. An Attached Garage Is Also Considered An Accessory Structure. An Attached Garage Is One That Is Attached To The Primary Structure And Provides Storage For Automobiles.

What Type Of Permit Will I Need For An Accessory Structure?

A Building Permit Is Required If You Are Building A Storage Shed Or A Garage That Is More Than 12 Feet On Any Side. If You Are Building A Shed With 12 Feet Or Smaller Dimensions On All Sides, It Will Require A Zoning Permit. Building Permits Are Issued By Mecklenburg County Land Use And Environmental Services. Zoning Permits Are Issued By The Mint Hill Planning Department.

Where Do I Initiate The Building Permit Process?

Mecklenburg County Land Use & Environmental Services
2145 Suttle Avenue
Charlotte, Nc 28208